November Give & Serve
Date: October 30, 2017 - November 12, 2017 | 12:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Contact: Katy Nieman
GIVE: Our calling
Dallas has experienced a growing homeless population as a result of the influx of Houston residents who have fled the poor living conditions left in the wake of Hurrican Harvey. Our ministry partner, Our Calling, is well positioned to care for this community, but they need help meeting the increased demand. We want to help them stock their resource closet with supplies they need most.
This Sunday and next Sunday, we will receive donations of the following items:
- men's, women's and children's socks
- men's, women's and children's underwear
- men's and women's deodorant
Please bring your donation to the Worship Center foyer and we will distribute them to Our Calling. Thank you for supporting November Give & Serve through your gift!
SERVE: operation blessing disaster relief
We have a unique opportunity to partner with Operation Blessing Disaster Relief in Beaumont, TX, assisting with multiple recovery and rebuild projects the weekend of November 9-12. We are organizing a team of able-bodied men and women (must be over the age of 18) to serve on the ground in Beaumont. If you’re interested in participating on this trip, email us at email@example.com. Thank you for supporting November Give & Serve through your service!
For more information about our disaster relief trip, please refer to our trip FAQ below:
November Give & Serve Disaster Relief Trip with Operation Blessing FAQ
Northwest Bible Church is coordinating a disaster relief trip to Beaumont, TX, serving alongside Operation Blessing Disaster Relief.View this Operation Blessing video to learn more about volunteering in disaster relief: vimeo.com/232426955 or visit ob.org/disaster-relief/volunteer.
Trip Dates: Thursday, November 9 – Sunday, November 12
- Thursday, November 9 – Leave from church at 3 p.m. (In order to arrive in Beaumont no later than 9 p.m., we will make a quick gas and drive-through food stop en route.)
- Friday, November 10–Saturday, November 11 – Volunteer (8 a.m.–5 p.m.) with Operation Blessing in Hurricane Harvey disaster zone around Beaumont, TX.
- Sunday, November 11 – Leave Beaumont at 9 a.m. Return to Northwest by 3 p.m.
Who can go on the trip?
- Able-bodied adults, ages 18 years and older.
Operation Blessing will provide:
- Volunteer t-shirt
- Volunteer housing (Cathedral Church, Beaumont, TX) – NOTE: Separate sleeping quarters for men and women
- Meals throughout our stay (all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday breakfast)
- Training and tools
- Gloves, goggles, masks and other protective gear
- Project coordination
- Bottled water
How will we get to and from Beaumont?
- We will travel in a caravan of personal vehicles, with hopes of multiple people riding together in these vehicles. The church will reimburse the cost of gas. (It will be helpful to have multiple vehicle options while in the field vs. one or two large vehicles.)
Where will we stay in Beaumont?
- Volunteer housing is located at Cathedral Church, 2350 Eastex Freeway, Beaumont, TX 77703.
What should I wear while volunteering?
- Long pants
- Closed-toe, hard sole shoes (work boots are best for safety reasons, but not required)
- If cool temps, a long-sleeved t-shirt or performance wear.*
*Operation Blessing will provide a t-shirt, which will be worn as the outer-most layer while in the field. This clearly identifies volunteers to home owners and first responders.
What kind of work will we do?
- Light construction and landscaping on multiple rebuild projects
- Mucking out homes flooded by Hurricane Harvey
- Dry wall removal
- Sanitizing wall boards
- Taking debris to the curb
What should I bring?
- Air mattress*
- Sleeping bag
- Comfortable clothes for traveling and relaxing in the evenings
- Conservative sleeping attire
*Operation Blessing volunteer housing will provide cots, but air mattresses are more comfortable. :-)
What will we do Friday and Saturday evenings?
- RELAX :-), refresh and relate … We will follow up long days of satisfying physical labor with dinner, showers and conversations with each other and other teams on site during our visit.